Event 2

Info on EEGs displayed on site
The first concept we are taught in DESMA 9 is C.P. Snow’s idea of “two cultures,” -- one is that of scientific intellectuals and the other of literary. These two groups do not interact with each other nor show much interest in interacting. C.P. Snow references a “Third Culture,” which is a group of people that mediate the discrepancies between the other two. Professor Vesna exemplifies the Third Culture, as she is the Director of the Art Science Center at UCLA and works to bridge the gap between art and science.
(initial) unknown object

In the event, Brainstorming, we learned about the brain mapping work done by UCLA neuroscientist Marc Cohen and Professor Vesna. Upon entering the room, I first saw large fabric pillars that much looks like costumes -- I didn’t know how to place them nor understand them. Following that, my eyes found items of equipment that looked far more complicated than anything I ever encountered in my daily life. There were small cords that appeared to be pieces that wou

ld connect to a person’s head. I soon learned that that was in fact the case.

Professor Vesna and another researcher began to describe the large fabric items in the room, some of which looked like octopuses. They said they there were parts of a live performance piece called empathy performance. Empathy performance involves duality of positions -- the audience is both watching and participating in the avenues of neuroscience and emotions.
octopus head on chair
The octopus like object is placed on the participant’s head, and immediately starts changing color in according to their brain activity and emotions. We each had the opportunity to wear the “octopus crown.” It was odd, having the entire room aware of what my emotions were and what was occurring in my brain. I sat there and became more self-conscious, I questions whether the colors I was displaying were normal or abnormal, whether what I was doing was right or odd.
Info displayed about research for the audience
I never considered that part of performance art before -- the vulnerability. I think of Orlan, and her extreme display of artwork and openness in her surgeries, and wonder whether she was anxious as to what people were thinking of her. I understand that what I participated in was hardly even comparable, but it made me much more aware of the intimacy the artist allows the audience to be privy to when he or she participates in performance art.
Me with the octopus head!

Another component of the exhibition was that there were typically two people with the octopus piece on at the same time. The goal of this was to sync the colors, or the brain activity, of the two. Our participation did not include the full work up of cords and tools, so we did not attempt to sync our colors. However, this component displays the intentional thought of the project, the participants are not merely passive, but actively working to engage each other. This requires introspection, honesty, and attentiveness.
If the opportunity arises, I would highly recommend participating in this event. I always assumed neuroscience to be a far off and hard to reach concept, I never believed that I would have to opportunity to access it so easily. However, this event enabled me to view the colors of my brain activity and spurred me to become more cognizant, and transparent with what I was actually thinking and feeling.

Comments

Popular Posts